The junior publicist provides support to the publicist positions on staff by assisting with journalist outreach, pitch writing, system maintenance and project work. Position reports directly to one of two Campaign Managers but may receive daily instruction and direction from both Campaign Managers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists publicists on client publicity campaigns as needed, with priority defined by campaign managers. Assignments are based on current client news, announcements, and publicist workload.
- Attends client meetings with publicists on a rotating basis to learn the ins and outs of client management and PR strategy.
- Thematic pitching – assigned to write 3 pitches per week based on a certain theme or subject area.
- Organizes the monthly client round-up newsletter to send to journalists.
- Organizes opportunities for awards and panels for clients. Maintains and communicates calendar and application instructions for such opportunities with publicists.
- Internal Media Database Maintenance – Using our internal proprietary system, cleans and maintains journalist contacts, builds filters for targeted outreach, and assists with other data entry and system maintenance as instructed.
- Fills in for publicists during absences. Monitors email and phone for journalist correspondence or client needs.
- Assist publicists with maintenance of online press kits.
- Help with coordination of tasks for interns.
Skills and qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for and basic knowledge of music, technology, public relations and the media.
- Strong written communication skills. Ability to analyze complex issues and turn them into digestible, understandable, and compelling pitches.
- Desire and ability to develop strong, trusting relationships with journalists and clients.
- Ability to think critically, creatively, and strategically.
- Ability to take instructions and feedback.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to shifting priorities and duties.
- Must have strong competence using computer programs, cloud-based software, videoconferencing, email and calendar management, and the ability to learn new computer systems quickly.
- Must demonstrate desire to learn and grow within the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree communication, media, journalism, or arts preferred.
The Junior Publicist will be given strong consideration to fill any vacant Publicist positions that become available in the company if performance as junior publicist is satisfactory. If there are no open publicist positions after 1 year as junior publicist, RPS expects to promote this candidate regardless of opening.
Working Expectation and Requirements:
Our office is located at 511 W. 4th Street in Bloomington, IN. Our work is currently a hybrid model (minimum 2-3 days in-office with additional in office days as needed). We value in-person interaction and collaboration but maintain safe and respectful boundaries within our office environment. This is a desk job, with significant time spent on the computer, phone, Zoom, and email. Employment is full-time (40 hours/week). Hours take place between 8:30am – 6pm Monday through Friday. Work standards are high, but the office environment and culture are fun. Travel to one or more conferences a year is possible. Employee is required to show proof of vaccination for COVID-19 per company policy.
Salary starts at $35,000 annually. Benefits package includes health, dental and vision insurance (80% paid for employees), 100% paid life insurance policy, 12 paid holidays (including your birthday), 12 paid vacation days, winter-break the last two weeks of every year, and a non-matching retirement plan.
Applicants should submit resume and cover letter to the posting through our online system here:
For strongest consideration, please apply by Monday, May 30th, 2022.